On March 11th 2019, Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Yemen’s Hajjah province left 22 civilians dead and 30 injured.
According to UN 22 people have died, including 12 children and 10 women by airstrikes in Yemen’s northern province of Hajjah on Monday. Houthis have accused Saudi-led coalition of the bombings.
As many as 30 people have been reportedly injured, including 14 children aged between 1 and 18, said Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Yemen.
Thousands of Yemenis gathered on Thursday in the historic Old City of the capital Sanaa for the funeral of 22 people killed in the Saudi-led coalition airstrikes.
Many of the injured children have been sent to hospitals in Abs district and in Sana’a for treatment and several require possible evacuation to survive.
In the attack, 10 members of Ahdaab family were killed, according to Alhussain Albukhaiti, Yemeni journalist based in Sana’a. The names of ages of the family members killed: Noor 10, Fatima 13, Amani 4, Marwah 11, Hazim 4, Eiad 1, Somaiah 35, Samirah 32, Mona 34, Taqwa 55.
In last 24 hours, coalition jets conducted more than 30 strikes, families took refuge in this?house, minutes later strikes killed them all
The attacks took place in the Houthi controlled area of Hajjah province
“We condemn these deaths and injuries unequivocally,” said Ms. Lise Grande, Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen. “And we share our deep condolences with the families of the victims.”
“It is outrageous that innocent civilians continue to die needlessly in a conflict that should, and can be solved,” said Ms. Grande.
“A higher percentage of people in Yemen are hungry and suffering than in any other country,” said Ms. Grande.
Yemen is the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Nearly 80 per cent of the total population, 24.1 million people, requires some form of humanitarian assistance and protection. Ten million people are a step away from famine and starvation and 7 million people are malnourished.
Action on Armed Violence (AOAV) records casualties (i.e. people killed and injured) from explosive violence around the world as reported in English-language news sources.
In Yemen in 2018, AOAV recorded 2,330 casualties from 227 incidents of explosive violence – of which, civilians accounted for 78% (1,807) of total casualties. This accounts for an 8% rise in civilian casualties compared to the previous year; from 1,670 in 2017 to 1,807 last year.
Of the civilian casualties recorded in Yemen, state actors were responsible for 86% (1,551), with the Saudi-led coalition responsible for the vast majority (85% of total civilian casualties), with a 9% rise in civilian casualties from the Saudi-led coalition (from 1,414 civilian casualties in 2017, to 1,535 last year).
AOAV strongly condemns the use of violence against civilians and calls upon all states and groups to stop using weapons with wide-area impacts in populated areas, due to the severe impact these have on civilians.