Modern military fighter aircraft are extremely expensive to procure with the unit cost for a single F-35A coming to $98 million. The amount of money needed to keep cutting-edge military aircraft airborne once they enter service is also considerable.
According to Department of Defense data
- The F-22A and the F-35A have an hourly operating cost of $33,538 and $28,455 respectively.
- The A-10 which costs just under $6,000 every hour.
- The F-16, hourly operating costs of around $8,000.
- The AV-8B Harrier in the air comes to around $13,700
- Two-Seat FA-18F costs somewhere in the region of $10,500.
Chart source: forbes.com
Here is another Chart that shows the cost of operating the US Air Force’s most expensive planes: