In this article, we will share with you videos of Top 5 Fighter jets landing on an Aircraft carrier in bad weather and low visibility
1) F/A-18 recovering on the aircraft carrier in bad weather
This video was recorded on USS Theodore Roosevelt on Sept. 14, 2003. The flattop found itself in extremely bad weather and heavy rainfall in the middle of a recovery: several planes had to land but visibility was extremely poor and there were also problems with the Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS). LSOs (Landing Signal Officers) assistance was paramount to help pilots land their planes safely. The PLAT (Pilot Landing Aid Television) system gives a hint of the horizontal visibility on the flight deck.
Towards the end of the clip you can hear a pilot who asks the to take his wingman to the tanker and wait the for the ship to clear the weather “…so we don’t have to do a section approach.” A section approach means that the lead would fly the ICLS (Instrumental Carrier Landing System) until about 3/4 mile from touchdown where it would leave the wingman to continue the approach on his own.
2) Landing on a carrier during a sandstorm in the Persian Gulf 2003
3) F 18 carrier landing in bad weather and low visibility Military videos
4) F-35C Carrier Landing in Hurricane Weather – Slow-Mo
5) Navy pilots landing aboard the USS Nimitz during rough seas in the Pacific.
Above video is From the PBS documentary series “Carrier” – Rites of Passage.
More Videos: F-18 Hornet Fighter jet Aircraft Carrier Action Videos
Here is one interesting Additional Video