On August 22, the Houthis launched two Qasef-2K suicide unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) at King Khalid Air Base near the southwestern Saudi city of Khamis Mushait.
According to the al-Masirah TV, Yemeni group’s UAVs targeted a military communication center and the airbase’s main fuel station.
A spokesman for the Houthis claimed that the attack was successful saying that it was a response to Saudi airstrikes on the areas held by the Yemeni group.
“The UAV’s operations came as a response to the crimes of the aggressor, its siege and its airstrikes, which reached 40 airstrikes in the last 48 hours resulting in martyrs and wounded,” Brig. Gen. Yahya Sari.
The Saudi-led coalition claimed that it was able to intercept one of the UAVs. However, it didn’t present any evidence to back its claims.
This is not the First time Yemen’s Houthi rebels have used Suicide Drones to Strike at Saudi Arabia
On On August 22 drone attack claimed by Yemen’s Houthi rebels has sparked a fire in a remote Saudi oil and gas field but has caused no casualties or disruption to production, state-owned energy company Saudi Aramco said.
“Saudi Aramco’s response team controlled a limited fire this morning at the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction facility,” the energy giant said on Saturday.
“There were no injuries and no interruptions to Saudi Aramco’s oil operations.”
A Houthi military spokesman said earlier on Saturday that the group targeted the Shaybah oil field with 10 drones in what he said was the “biggest attack in the depths” of the kingdom, the world’s top oil exporter.
The UAE is Saudi Arabia’s main partner in the Sunni Arab coalition which has been battling the Houthis since 2015 to restore Yemen’s pro-Saudi government driven from the capital Sanaa in late 2014.