Home / Latest News / Aircraft Crash News / Iran’s Revolutionary Guard shoots down U.S. RQ-4 Global Hawk ‘spy’ drone in Hormozgan Province

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard shoots down U.S. RQ-4 Global Hawk ‘spy’ drone in Hormozgan Province

Iran's Revolutionary Guard shoots down U.S. RQ-4 Global Hawk 'spy' drone in Hormozgan Province

Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards claims to shot down a U.S. RQ-4 Global Hawk “spy” drone in the southern province of Hormozgan, which is on the Gulf, the Guards’

Update: U.S. officials confirms Iranian missile shoots down U.S. Navy MQ-4C Triton drone in international airspace

Iran State news agency IRNA carried the same report, identifying the drone as an RQ-4 Global Hawk.

“It was shot down when it entered Iran’s airspace near the Kouhmobarak district in the south,” the Guards’ website added.

The RQ-4 Global Hawk unmanned aircraft system (UAS) can fly at high altitudes for more than 30 hours, gathering near-real-time, high-resolution imagery of large areas of land in all types of weather, maker Northrop Grumman says on its website.

Iran's Revolutionary Guard shoots down U.S. RQ-4 Global Hawk 'spy' drone
An RQ-4 Global Hawk speeds down the runway for takeoff Oct. 24, 2018, at Naval Air Station Sigonella, Italy. The RQ-4 Global Hawk is a high-altitude, long-endurance, remotely piloted aircraft with an integrated sensor suite that provides global all-weather, day or night intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Ramon A. Adelan)

“No U.S. aircraft were operating in Iranian airspace today,” Navy Captain Bill Urban, a spokesman for the U.S. military’s Central Command, said shortly before midnight on Wednesday.

Urban declined further comment.

A senior Iranian security official said on Wednesday that Iran would “strongly respond” to any violation of its airspace.

“Our airspace is our red line and Iran has always responded and will continue to respond strongly to any country that violates our airspace,” the semi-official Tasnim news agency quoted the secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security council as saying.

The U.S. military has in recent days confirmed an attempt by Iran to shoot down a U.S. drone last week as well as a successful shootdown of one on June 6 by Iran-aligned Houthi forces in Yemen.

See Details: U.S. claims that Iran tried to Shoot Down U.S. Reaper Drone prior to oil tanker attack

Tension between Iran and the United States has spiked since last year when President Donald Trump exited a 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and major powers and reimposed sanctions on the country.

Concerns about a military confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman last week and four tankers off the United Arab Emirates on May 12, both near the Strait of Hormuz, a major conduit for global oil supplies.

The United States and its regional ally Saudi Arabia have blamed Iran for the incidents. Iran has denied responsibility.

See Details: Fears of confrontation rises as U.S. President Donald Trump blames Iran for oil tanker attacks

To counter Iran’s threats, the U.S. military has sent forces, including aircraft carriers, B-52 bombers and troops to the Middle East. However, Trump said he does not seek war with Iran.

 

Check Also

4 dead and 3 missing in a Air Saguenay plane crash into a Labrador lake, Canada

4 dead and 3 missing in a Air Saguenay plane crash into a Labrador lake, Canada

Four people are dead and three others are missing following a crash of an Air Saguenay …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *